I bought the ICE Filaments ‘Obstinate Orange’ because I have other filaments by ICE and I liked the vibrancy of the colour and I had a very specific project in mind – our logo.
In this video I show how I created the 3D object in Blender, used boolean modifiers to cut out the text from the flat object and then export as an STL file ready for preparing to print.
I then used Ultimaker Cura to load the STL file and then generate the .gcode file ready for printing via the Artillery supplied memory stick.
I love the colour and considering this is one of my first models I am happy with the results.
These exercises are all about learning how the 3D printer works, how the filament behaves, what settings are required and how to construct 3D models in the first place to end up with a better final 3D print.
What did I learn?
- I needed to make the gap between the 3 and the D slightly larger so that it had more support to retain the centre of the characters.
- I needed to slightly increase the width of the bar for the ‘o’ and the ‘d’ as even though the ‘d’ came out fine, the ‘o’ did not.
- I could try adjusting the temperature, perhaps lowering it by around 10 degrees.
- I could try adjusting the layer resolution.
- I could try reducing the print speed slightly.
Artillery Sidewinder X1 profile
36.5 mm x 36.5 mm x 2.3 mm
1 hour 6 minutes print time
2g in plastic weight
0.76m in filament length
50.00 mm/s print speed
200 deg C print temperature
60 deg C bed temperature
If you would like to take a look at the original STL, GCode or the Blender files, you can access via this URL:
Thank you for watching.
Rob @ 3DModUK